As of September 2012, nearly 6 million children suffer from asthma. This is an overwhelming number and researchers are doing all the can to figure out why so many children have been diagnosed with asthma.
Most commonly, children become asthmatic because of allergens in the air. According to an article by the National Institutes of Health, “Asthma is often associated with allergies, and molds spread by releasing tiny spores into the air, which can cause allergic reactions.” Asthma is a life threatening condition and if not monitored and controlled with proper breathing equipment, your child could be in a severe health risk.
Researchers have been looking into the link between asthma and mold. Mold grows where moisture is detected and this can happen in both old and newer homes. A study of nearly 300 homes where a baby at least 8 months of age resided was conducted and found 36 strains of mold in almost all homes. By age 7, 1 of every 4 of those children were diagnosed with asthma.
Although no studies have provided enough information to directly blame mold for causing asthma, there is plenty of evidence to suggest such claim. Parents need to take notice of things around the home that can be creating unwanted moisture. Non-vented bathrooms and kitchen stoves and even leaky pipes are just a few areas where moisture can be found.
Asthma is not curable and can greatly limit the lifestyle of a child. It’s a wise investment to have a professional mold test done in your home. If a home is detected to have mold, by removing it, you can lessen the severity of asthmatic outbreaks. Check out your local certified mold testers and inquire about their testing procedures.
(Source – National Institutes of Health – http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/august2012/08202012molds.htm and http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/issue/sep2012/capsule1).